Seattle's Central Waterfront is going to be a busy place over the next several years, with multiple construction projects underway. To make it easy for you to stay up to date on what's going on and what's ahead, we've compiled project information all in one place. This site provides general information about current and future public projects. For additional project details, visit the project websites, which can be found in the “Contact Us” page.
Colman Dock Multimodal Terminal Project
- Washington State Ferries is replacing the aging and seismically vulnerable parts of Colman Dock in Seattle to maintain its critical role as a regional transportation hub. Project construction began in 2017 and will continue through early 2023. The terminal will remain open throughout construction.
- The passenger-only ferry facility is open for Kitsap Transit and the King County Water Taxi. This dock is at Pier 50, adjacent to the south end of Colman Dock, which is Pier 52.
- For the latest information on access to and from Colman Dock, including accessible paths, driving, biking, and walking, please visit Seattle Terminal and Cameras.
- The first section of the new terminal building opened to the public in September 2019, with a limited capacity of 65 seats. Passengers should plan to arrive about 15 minutes before departure to avoid standing in line for long periods of time.
- The final two-thirds of the terminal building is expected to open in summer 2022 and the remainder of the project in spring 2023. These dates take into account the recent concrete delivery strike in the Puget Sound area, and assume that we will be able to receive necessary concrete as planned. Our contractor has resequenced work these past several months to work around the strike. WSDOT maintains a weekly project impacts page related to the strike on this web page.
Building the new Alaskan Way and Elliott Way
- Lenora Street pedestrian bridge and elevator closed until it is connected to the new Elliott Way. View our construction flyer for more information.
- Access to businesses and residences remain open.
- Seneca St closed to all vehicles between Alaskan Way and Western Ave continues, anticipated to reopen in late May. Pedestrian access maintained with detours. View our construction flyer for more information.
- Lane closure on Elliott Ave between Blanchard and Bell streets continues.
- Blanchard St between Elliott and Western avenues permanently closed.
Union Street Bridge
- Union St between Alaskan Way and Western Ave is partially open for pedestrians and vehicles for business access only. Access from Union St to Alaskan Way is rerouted north through a one-way access road connecting to northbound Alaskan Way near Pike St.
- The Union St staircase between Alaskan Way and Western Ave remains closed with pedestrian access maintained via University St and Pike Street Hillclimb.
- Access to businesses will be maintained.
- In late May, S Charles Street opened to traffic in a temporary configuration providing a new, direct east-west connection between First Avenue S and Occidental Avenue S.
- Construction continues north of S Dearborn St on a new equipment garage adjacent to the SR 99 tunnel’s operations building.
- Utility, drainage and road work continues into the summer along 1st Ave S.
For more information on current construction activities, click on the projects on the map to the left, or select a project from the list above.